Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog was playing with a echidna and now about an hour

Customer Question
My dog was playing...

My dog was playing with a echidna and now about an hour later he has thrown up a green brown watery stuff

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No I think he has been poisoned by the echidna is there anything I can do to help him?

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Seth an he is 11 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Seth?

No I pretty sure that’s it.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
1/20/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or white/pale? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything harmful (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Any diarrhea?

He can’t keep water down an he won’t eat his dinner

Oh dear,

Now in that case, we need to be careful here as dogs that nauseous are often the ones we need treated with injectable anti-vomiting medication by their vet. That said, we can try to soothe his stomach with an OTC pet safe antacid [ie Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).] Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though again if he cannot even keep that down then we'd need him on injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once we can get that settled, we'd want to offer small meals of an easily digestible diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to your normal diet.

Finally, as dehydration is a risk with how severely affected Seth is, do keep an eye on his hydration. To check that, there are a few things you can look for. Besides gum moisture, make sure his eyes aren't sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check those dehydration signs, here is a good video ( http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html ) to look at. If you do see any signs of dehydration already, that's our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, his signs do raise some concerns and with how nauseous Seth is I am worried that he is high risk for dehydration here. Therefore, we’d want to start the above supportive care now. If he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved to get him onto injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids and antibiotics to get him back feeling like himself.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

*********************************

I aim to provide the best care for you just as I do for my own clients & their pets. If you have any other questions, please ask – I’m happy to help but please take the time rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great) afterwards as otherwise the site does not credit me for helping you. There is no extra fee for this (its included in your question fee). Once you rate, your question will not close & you can still ask follow-up questions. Thank you for helping me to keep helping everyone here. : )**

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.