Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My small are laying around and every now and then he passes…

My small are laying...

My small are laying around and every now and then he passes gas

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

Whitey

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Whitey?

He just turn two year old 12/22/2017

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Whitey?

Know

1/20/2018
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It is necessary for me to get a little information from you before I can type up your reply. Your patience is appreciated.

What breed is Whitey?

Have you changed foods recently or added any new treats?

Is he eating and drinking?

Is he eliminating normally?

Breed: canine yes i change his food this month from Pedigree to Alpo can food he drinks water but want eat he will go and smell his food and walk away
I don't have $28

By breed I meant is it a chihuahua, mutt, collie, pit bull, etc. I did understand he was a dog, but what type of canine is he?

How much does he weigh approximately?

Is he able to defecate?

Has he had any rawhides, bones, pigs ear, etc?

I do not do phone calls which is why I assume the $28 was for.

He mix with chuihuaha and shihtzuand he weighs 4.60 know he have not had any rawhides or bones,pig ear none above
Shihtzu

Thanks for that information. It is helpful.

It may be that the new food has a higher fat content and thus has caused him to have a touch of pancreatitis. In the early stages, you may not see many symptoms.

Pancreatitis is an inflammation of the pancreas. The pancreas is a gland that produces and releases enzymes into the digestive track that aid in the digestion of food. When these same enzymes are activated while they are still in the pancreas, inflammation occurs and the enzyme start "digesting" the pancreas itself.

Some common causes of pancreatitis are eating a lot of very fatty foods, obesity, steroid use and other diseases and conditions.

Symptoms of pancreatitis vary but include vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia (loss of appetite), weakness or collapse, dehydration, shock, fever, depression, and upper abdominal pain. A dog may indicate abdominal pain by acting restless, panting, crying or wincing when picked up, shaking, standing with an arched back, or lying with the front end down and the rear end elevated

You can read about it in detail here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

You might try some pepto-bismol. Pepto-Bismol can be given to a dog at 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea. If his loss of appetite is from the new food causing excessive gas, the pepto-bismol may help relieve the situation all on its own though you may want to change him back to the food that does not cause him gas. I'd give a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice for a few days and see if he eats that.

Now a tiny dog like this that doesn't eat is in danger of becoming hypoglycemic. You can avoid this by giving a drop of karo or pancake syrup every 6-8 hours to boost the sugar levels. You can read of hypoglycemia here:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/pet-health/hypoglycemia-low-blood-sugar-in-dogs/

If you do not see improvement, you will need to have your vet take a quick look at him.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Thank you

You are very welcome.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?