Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 5 year old dog is asking to go outside very frequently…

My 5 year old dog...
My 5 year old dog is asking to go outside very frequently (every 10-15 minutes). She has been having accidents during the night because she can’t hold her bladder/she doesn’t wake us up to go out. Today in a period of 4 hours she had two accidents. I just had her at the vet last week. No signs of a bladder infection. She is spayed. Help? I’m worried about her.
1/20/2018
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Did she have bloodwork done as well?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No the vet did not do any bloodwork besides heartworm check
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you

Okay thanks for the additional information. Has she ever had frequent urination in the past. If the urine test is negative for an urinary tract infection I would recommend having bloodwork done. Common issues that can cause frequent urination besides an urinary tract infection includes kidney disease, diabetes, and Cushing's disease. Labwork can easily rule those out so they can be treated if possible.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My daughter is a Type 1 diabetic, so I’m very familiar with it. Dog isnt losing weight The frequent urination isaa new sympmtom. Would she be losing weight w/diabetes?

They don't have to necessariily start losing weight when the signs first appear but as the disease progresses then you may start seeing weight loss. But this can vary in different dogs. Otherwise you also may want to consider if anything else is going on in the bladder as well. Sometimes a large amount of crystals or stones in the bladder can cause these signs as well without evidence of an infection. Usually an x-ray or an ultrasound would be needed as well.

Dwight Alleyne
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You are welcome. Have a good night

Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne