Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate two adult aspirin. Rufus. He is about 16lbs

My dog ate two...

My dog ate two adult aspirin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Rufus

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Rufus?

He is about 16lbs

1/20/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns. I am sorry to hear that your fellow ate something he should not have.

When you say aspirin you mean acetylsalicylic acid?

Were these the 325mg tablet size, so he ingested 650mgs in total?

Was this all at once?

How long ago did this occur?

How is he behaving now?

Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?

he ingested 650mg total. I had 2 prepackaged laying on the table by my bed and he must have gotten them this afternoon sometime. i just found the package about an hour ago. He is acting like he doesn’t want to move around a lot which is abnormal for him. He just wants to lay on me. I read about giving him peroxide but wasn’t sure if it would benefit since it’s likely been over 4hrs or so.

The truly toxic dose of aspirin for dogs is a 22mgs per pound of body weight single dose.

If your fellow is 16 pounds and he ingested 650mgs he ingested 40.625mgs per pound of body weight, roughly twice the minimum toxic dose.

Signs of toxicity usually develop within 4-6 hours of ingestion. They include lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting (possibly bloody), abdominal pain and cramps, increased rate of breathing, kidney failure, weakness, coma, and death.

If this just happened you could try to induce vomiting by giving him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide (directly orally or mixed with ice cream or bread chunks), taking him out side to run him around get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits. If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose ONCE.

If he vomits and seems to clear his stomach and be done I would check to see if the pill pieces are present.
Once he clears his stomach to try and settle his stomach today you can try either:
1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at one half of a 10mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.
OR
2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at one half of a 20mg tablet per 10 to 20 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.
These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. I would use one of these for the next 10 -14 days or so to try and help his stomach heal
Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat and 2/3 boiled, white rice.

But once it has been longer than 2 hours it is too late for that.

If you do not have peroxide on hand, he won't vomit despite being given peroxide or it has been more than 2 hours he needs to go to an emergency clinic. This is a serious toxicity and should be treated as such.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

I just saw your reply.

It is much too late to induce vomiting now, we are well out of that window.

He needs emergency treatment now! He is going to be a very sick puppy very soon. They will do their best, ***** ***** dose is well over a toxic one for him.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian