Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She is a standard poodle weighing 50 lbs and she eat about…

She is a standard...

She is a standard poodle weighing 50 lbs and she eat about 400 mg of a prescription anticid

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

Nothing. It’s only been about 1.5 hours

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

Nowhere

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No not yet. Should I make her vomit?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

She eats 400 mg of an prescription of antacids

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Hazel 4 Years old

1/20/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. What is the name of this drug?

Hazel

What is the brand name of the prescription drug which Hazel swallowed?

Omperasol we think that’s how you spell it 40 mg a pill and she ate probably at 7 if them

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer ...

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. While Omeprazole { Prilosec } is occasionally used in treating various conditions the amount Hazel took was clearly an overdose, and it is possible that side effects may occur.

2. One of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. However, if you fail to induce vomiting and any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include Fast heart rate, vomiting, nausea, increased panting and increased thirst.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Hazel's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

She has thrown up so things are good. Thank you.

Well done ...

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?