Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Dog is coughing frequently and the coughing is leading to…

Dog is coughing frequently...

Dog is coughing frequently and the coughing is leading to frequent coughing up mucus (or more). It seems like kennel cough, plus some gagging due to the phlegm, etc. The vet wants to do an antibacterial shot, plus anti-nausea shot, plus bloodwork and an x-ray. I think it's a bit premature for bloodwork and an x-ray, particularly given that it's unlikely he has something that serious going on and it is going to be $500 to get that all done. I am leaning towards just doing the antibiotic and maybe the anti-nausea and monitoring his recovery. No blood or anything else in the spit-up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Well, he's always into stuff, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Yoda. He is 14 months.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Yoda

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Good afternoon, JACustomer. What questions can I answer for you today?

Were you able to review the question?

Yes, I saw the history but no questions to address.

THIS WAS IT:
Dog is coughing frequently and the coughing is leading to frequent coughing up mucus (or more). It seems like kennel cough, plus some gagging due to the phlegm, etc. The vet wants to do an antibacterial shot, plus anti-nausea shot, plus bloodwork and an x-ray. I think it's a bit premature forbloodwork and an x-ray, particularly given that it's unlikely he has something that serious going on and it is going to be $500 to get that all done. I am leaning towards just doing the antibiotic and maybe the anti-nausea and monitoring his recovery. No blood or anything else in the spit-up.

It sounds like you're wanting to know if this is a safe, advisable approach.

Your veterinarian is going to recommend bloodwork and x-rays for good measure, though we often don't find anything too concerning on either if the symptoms have just begun. You can always return later for x-rays and bloodwork if antibiotics and anti-nausea medication doesn't work. I don't see anywhere mentioned in your history that your vet intends to use medication to help with the coughing, such as cough tabs, so I would ask about this as well as it can speed recovery and also reduce the coughing to the point of vomiting.

They did not mention cough tabs. They did add another injection that they said is an anti-inflammatory aimed at easing the cough. Are the cough tabs something that would be available "over-the-counter?"

They're not. They are a prescription veterinary item (fortunately also relatively cheap). Most injections last for 8-24 hours, so whatever they intend to give injectably is unlikely to last as long as the symptoms bill. If you need to, robitussin can be given but this medication is typically one we don't recommend using long term for dogs. It also tastes bad to them so it may cause vomiting. More info here: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=26+1303&aid=1395

I appreciate your help.

You're quite welcome. Let me know if you need further assistance. Good luck to you both!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse