Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Just adopted from county shelter 10 days ago. She is 45 lb…

Just adopted from county...

Just adopted from county shelter 10 days ago. She is 45 lb Staffordshire mix. She was spayed, received 4-1 in vaccine, borderless & rearguard. Negative for heartworm,tick fever, Lyme disease & anaplasma. Took her in 1 week later for free vet check. Coming from rescue kennel, she had some sniffles. This vet gave her Pen-G Benzathine/Procaine inj. 300min, Dexamethasone inj 2mg/ml, Amoxicillin tabs 200 mg & cough tabs. She was playful,affectionate & eating/drinking well. 12 hours after this vet visit she is lethargic, not eating/drinking, cannot move without a horrible wheezing/coughing followed by vomiting large amounts of mucous. Was up with her all night. Committed over 20 times. Afraid of too many drugs/toxicity. She is not the same dog after vet visit. Breaking my heart!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Don't understand how she can have a clean bill of health, then go to the vet ($150 free visit) & become so ill 12 hrs later.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

When did the wheezing/coughing begin?

Is she being given any food when she's being medicated?

Is she on any medication aside from the Pen-G, Dex, Amoxi and cough tabs?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry my computer changed some of items. Supposed to say bordetella & heartguard
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No call. Just waiting over 2 hrs for response.

I knew what you meant, it does it frequently on our end too.

When did the wheezing/coughing begin?

Is she on any medication aside from the Pen-G, Dex, Amoxi and cough tabs?​

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Had a few sniffles is all when I took her to vet wed. She was eating/drinking fine, stools & urine good. Playful, cuddling. 12hrs after vet visit is when this all started. She is kn no other meds.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now stools are orange & loose. She can't move without severly wheezing/coughing & vomiting large amounts of mucous. Won't eat or drink!

It's very likely that she was exposed to kennel cough while she was in the county shelter and that the symptoms of kennel cough were just starting when you took her to the vet. They would have progressed whether she'd have gone in or not. The vomiting and loose stools you're seeing are likely from the amoxicillin and cough tabs being given, which is fairly common. We do recommend a decent sized meal with each dosage of medication to reduce the risk of nausea and vomiting, that said some dogs are quite prone to GI upset with oral medications.

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

This step should help with the vomiting that's due to nausea. You may still see coughing to the point of bringing up mucous and food may follow if the coughing is hard enough.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel.

After the food has been held down for at least 30 minutes, give the amoxi and the cough tabs. If the vomiting persists, she will need an examination and likely injectable medications that won't come up with the coughing fits she's having (such as cerenia).

Work up to feeding the bland diet exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse