Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has kennel cough and has been receiving antibiotics…

My dog has kennel...

My dog has kennel cough and has been receiving antibiotics for the last several days. While the cough is improving, he still has periodic coughing. Are there any foods that he should avoid?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Umi.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Umi?

Perhaps age and breed are relevant. He is a 9 year old min pin.

1/19/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Umi.

Please give me a few minutes to type back a response for you. Deb

OK.

As your vet probably mentioned, kennel cough can be secondary to either a viral or bacterial condition; if the latter, then we typically see improvement pretty quickly but if this is the former, then he may continue to cough for a total of about 10-14 days since it will have to run its course.

I advise my pet owners to feed softer foods which are less likely to irritate the throat when swallowed. Either soak dry dog food (if this is what you feed) in water for 15-20 minutes which turns the food into mush or feed semi-moist or canned food. The brand isn't as important as the texture, if that makes sense.

And, in case you were wondering, over the counter treatment cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex.

But acceptable ones to use include Dextromethorphan: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

The dose would be 0.25 to 1 mgs per pound of body weight 2-3 times a day. You'll just want to double check labels and ensure that the formulations only contain this ingredient although inclusion of Guaifensin is fine.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you. It sounds like we are doing the right things. The antbiotics he was taking were prescribed by his vet, and I always soak his dry kibbles in water.Your response has been excellent.

You're more than welcome and thanks for the rating; it's greatly appreciated.

Keep up the good work:) Hopefully, he'll be back to normal within a short period of time, Deb