Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a Greyhound that started reverse sneezing on Tuesday…

Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a Greyhound that started reverse sneezing on Tuesday morning. I held her nostrils closed until she got a breath and she stopped. Her temperature varies from 100.2 to 100.4. So that is normal with a Greyhound. Gums are pick. Eyes look fine as well. Clear snot. She is still sneezing from time to time. Not reverse. Any ideas?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Airy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Airy?

Nope. All vaccinations including the H3N2/H3N8

1/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Did the reverse sneezing start following anything in particular, such as a trip outside?

Have there been any changes in the home such as dusting, new chemicals, vacuuming, carpet deodorizer, etc?

I own a dog kennel. I also run a Greyhound rescue. Nothing was different. Airy has been here for a few months. She's Awesome. She started the reverse sneezing before going outside. She was sleeping prior to that time.

100.2 and 100.4 are both normal range temperatures for Airy. The reverse sneezing, clear mucus with occasional sneezing sounds like it may be secondary to allergies. The potential does exist for something to have been brought into the sinus cavity through smelling, as well, so if a home approach with antihistamines does not help I would urge you to have Airy seen. I would recommend a 3-5 day trial of Zyrtec for her, you can find the dosing info here: http://www.aahneenah.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/antihistamines_dogs.pdf Zyrtec seems to work better for medium and larger breed dogs than other antihistamines such as benadryl. If you do not have Zyrtec on hand, I would consider Chlorpheniramine which also works well against sinus symptoms.

Watch for any runny or thick yellow, green or red mucous being passed from the nostrils. Also be aware of any pawing at the face, rubbing or swelling of the muzzle near the nostrils, etc. If this occurs, Airy needs a prompt visit to your vet. They may wish to try a course of antibiotics to prevent/treat a sinus infection and might also recommend a scope of her nasal passages to look for foreign material.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy