Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have a 2 y/o female Dachshund named Minnie. About 3 weeks…

I have a 2...

I have a 2 y/o female Dachshund named Minnie. About 3 weeks ago I noticed a hairless area just below her left eye. At the time I first noticed the area it appeared flat. It seems as though it has become raised now, however, the diameter of the lesion has not changed. Minnie doesn't seem to be bothered by the lesion. I initially thought it was a ringworm as we have outdoor cats, but with it becoming raised I've since decided it isn't ringworm.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Minnie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Minnie?

She's been healthy other than being a little overweight.

1/19/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that you have not received a response to your initial question before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time? Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Minnie acts like her usual self. She doesn't seem to have pain or issues with eye irritation.

Typically with ringworm, as you've mentioned, we don't see raised lesions. Moreover, this looks too localized and there's no crusting which we normally see with ringworm, as well. I don't think that's what you're seeing. I am more concerned that this might be an eyelid margin tumor (many of which are benign growths). I do think it would be wise to schedule a visit with your vet to have this area examined. They may wish to wait-and-watch or sedate her for removal/biopsy. Along with a histopathology your vet should be able to give you a determination on what this is and what should be done about it, if anything. It's location is typically one where we will obtain as much information as possible as early as possible as growth of the tumor might affect her eye sight or ability to use the eye in the future. This doesn't look like an emergency, as you mention that it doesn't seem to bother her. I would, however, schedule a visit to see your vet and determine if removal/biopsy is indicated. More info here: https://www.vetinfo.com/eyelid-tumors-in-dogs.html

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does this look like a histiocytoma?

Yes, it looks like it could be a histiocytoma but we see other types of tumors on the eyelids, as well. This is where removal/biopsy, as well as histopathology, will come in handy.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you very much for your assistance. I'll get Minnie to her doctor as soon as they have an availability. Thank you, again.

You're very welcome. Best of luck to you both!

Hi Leslie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Minnie. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse