Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ate a protein bar that’s sweetened with monk fruit.

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a protein bar that’s sweetened with monk fruit

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maple, 7

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Maple?

She’s pretty resilient, has gotten into chocolate before with zero noticeable reaction

1/19/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Here’s the whole ingredient list: USDA Organic Grass-Fed Whey Protein Concentrate, Organic Digestive Resistant Prebiotic Fiber (From Organic Tapioca) (Non-IMO), Organic Sunflower Butter, Monk Fruit

Got it thanks, ***** ***** your answer now ...

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. I would not worry about this too much, I have often advised on dogs which have swallowed protein bars and this rarely causes any problems to them, the very odd dog perhaps suffers a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea from which it soon recovers, but that's about it. What is different though in your case is the monk fruit component which is probably present as a sweetener, however, I have checked out monk fruit on a veterinary poisonous plants database and it is not listed, so there is almost certainly any problem with your protein bar as far as toxicity to dogs goes. In any case monk fruit is listed last on the ingredients list which usually means it will be present in very small quantities.

2. So given the above, there are no special measures you need take other than just keeping an eye on your dog, the chances are that Maple will be just fine.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me in the unlikely event that Maple's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr Scott from a native Texan but former Fife resident!

Fife is a very pleasant county, I remember holidays there well ...