Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I have an 8 month female labradoodle. Weights 56 pounds.

Every now and again lately...
I have an 8 month female labradoodle. Weights 56 pounds. Every now and again lately she will yelp after she lands and hold her right paw up but not always. Still wrestles with our lab and gets excited to chase the sprinkler and can even still cruise the counter just fine. She had some stuff stuck in the fur in the pads of her feet so had a groomer remove it thinking that was what was causing her pain but she still yelped today. Could it be a sprain? Should I give her some ibuprofen. Besides the occasional yelp she walks, plays, runs etc just fine. No problem eating, drinking or using the bathroom. Gets on the couch to sleep fine and in and out of the car to go to the dog park fine.
1/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Please do not give any additional ibuprofen to your companion unless directed by your vet to do so. OTC pain medications intended for humans can cause organ failure in dogs. Is this a front paw or rear paw that is causing her intermittent pain?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Front right

If you'll give me the dosage that she's received on the ibuprofen, I'll be happy to check to see if she's received a concerning dosage which might require treatment.

If Honey is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. Labs and lab mixes are prone to arthritis, so starting a joint supplement in their adult years is important. If you wish to give medication at home to help with discomfort, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

I would also recommend talking to your vet about diagnostics like x-rays to ensure that you are not seeing the first sign of a more concerning ailment. Young larger breed dogs are prone to a condition called Panosteititis. You can learn more here: https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_multi_panosteitis Your vet will likely want to give you prescription NSAIDs and pain medication to keep on hand if Honey continues to have these pains. Other diagnostics may be recommended from tick borne illness panels to MRI/CT if nothing is found on x-ray and she continues to have problems in the future.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No ibuprofen has been given yet. GNC sells a dog aspirin is that something she can have to help with pain? I gave her glucosamine chondritin from Trader Joe’s today. Is that a good joint supplement? She gets heart worm meds and flea and tick treatment. Could she get a Lyme disease?

There's no difference between human aspirin and dog aspirin. Due to her size, I would visit the link shared above to get the dosage needed for her and use what can be found at your drug store. No need to purchase a special product with an inflated price unless you so choose. I recommend the glycoflex product because it contains not only glucosamine chondroitin but also MSM and GMLE. You can use the Trader Joe's variety if you choose but be aware that she will need it over the long term as it may take a few weeks before you'll see benefits. If she's had any ticks at all she could have a tick borne illness, Lyme being one of the many she could contract, yes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok thank you. She hasn’t had any ticks yet that I have seen. I have only had her for 4 or 5 months now. Thank you. Your information has been really helpful. I will order those joint supplements and pick up some aspirin and check out the dosage information you sent .

You're welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about Honey. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse