Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She has gone into heat about 3 weeks ago and this is her…

She has gone into...

She has gone into heat about 3 weeks ago and this is her first time. I also have a male dog almost same age and he has mounted her but they didn't get stuck. Her nipples are swollen and she did go threw a panting stage and over it now. Im scared she is pregnet but ive also read that a male doesnt become sexually mature till ages 1-5 year and he isnt even that. Is it possible my puppy is pregnet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

This is her first time going into heat

1/18/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog possibly being pregnant.

Usually dogs have to tie for the female to get pregnant. Was his penis inside her?

Dog are sexually mature well before 5 years of age, and can be before a year of age. How old is he?

What doea tie mean
He is only about 7-9 months old not quite sure because we bought him from a woman who considered herself a dog breeder but couldnt tell me his birthday

His penis is inside her and they are locked together, usually for half an hour or longer.

The youngest dog I found that was sexually mature in my research was 6 months old.

his penis was inside her but no they havent ever tied

So he is old enough to get her pregnant, but if he only mounted her and his penis was not inside her, she likely is not pregnant.

You can have her checked for pregnancy at 4 weeks.

If his penis was in her but they did not tie, she probably is not pregnant, but you can't be certain.

Are there any signs i can look for that will tell me in these 4 weeks that she is pregnet or not?

More searching; a tie is NOT necessary to get a female pregnant, so if he ejaculated in her, she could be pregnant.

There are no particular signs. Female dogs go through the same hormone cycles after a heat, whether they are pregnant or not, so they can put on weight, make milk, etc. and not be pregnant. The only way to tell if she is pregnant is to see or feel puppies in the uterus, or a positive blood test. These can be checked at 4 weeks after breeding.

Ugh this is terrible my mother in law trains service dogs and she will damn us for this because our dog is a pup and we didnt encourage breeding we are trying to prevent. Once she is done with her cycle we plan to have her fixed right away. I hope its not too late . Can we have her fixed now that she isnt bleeding anymore?

You can have her spayed now, that would be fine if the bleeding has stopped.

Please let me know if my answer is helpful and what other questions you have.

That is wonderful new! Now if she is pregnet does it put a stop to it all? Or do they have to give her a pregnancy test forst before performing precedure?

If she is pregnant and you have her spayed, that will stop her having puppies now and in the future. They won't require a pregnancy test before spaying her.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you so much for all your help

You are welcome!

Thanks for the great rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?