Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 11 month old German Shepherd was recently at a pet resort…

My 11 month old German...
My 11 month old German Shepherd was recently at a pet resort for 3 days while we were out of town, I’m sure he played pretty hard..but... I noticed he has been tired since we got him home but I’m concerned because he hasn’t had an appetite and when my husband was petting him he yelped when he rubbed over a spot on his spine...it appears there is a small bump on his spine, the hair on the spot seems to be kind of standing up in the area as well and it only seems to hurt him in that one spot..it’s so sensitive that when you rub the hair backwards it hurts him. We have an appt with our vet, but they can’t see him until tomorrow..wondering if I should wait or take him somewhere else ASAP?
1/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

If you have the ability to take him in sooner, I certainly would especially since he has not had an appetite. That said, waiting until tomorrow is fine so long as his symptoms don't progress. Can you tell if this bump is scabbed at the base or oozing any fluid? Can you share a picture of what you're seeing?

It’s not scabbed or oozing, it’s hard to take a picture showing anything since he has so much fur. Aside from that spot being tender and him losing his appetite we had no idea anything was wrong. He is still walking outside to go to the back room and barking at the neighbors when they walk by the house...

if he's energetic enough to go outside and bark at the neighbors, I think it would be safe to wait until tomorrow to have him seen. Your vet is likely going to want to clip the fur back to examine the area. They might also recommend x-rays to ensure nothing is under the skin or abnormal with the spine. Canine-safe NSAIDS/pain medication will likely be prescribed.

Is he willing to eat anything at all, even treats?

He will eat treats and my husband boiled some chicken and he ate that up no problem, he just won’t touch his dog food

Excellent. Sometimes dogs need enticement when they don't feel well, but he needs to be eating something if your vet prescribes NSAIDs at the visit tomorrow. NSAIDs, much like they can in humans, often upset the stomach if the pet is not eating anything. I'd suggest that you add in boiled rice to bulk up the chicken. Giving pure protein to a dog can cause constipation and adding fiber can help to eliminate that (pardon the pun).

If you wish to try something at home today, aspirin can be given if no other medications are being used. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ Once your vet prescribes medication you'll need to discontinue the aspirin. NSAIDs are apt to work better than the aspirin will. Also be sure to tell your vet if you give this medication.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help!
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse