Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog licked some lemon Lysol spray off he floor. Max and…

Customer Question
My dog licked some...

My dog licked some lemon Lysol spray off he floor

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Max and she is 2 and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

She is a black lab and mastiff mix

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 8 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with Max. Did he just eat some that spilled there on the floor? Was it less than say a table spoon? How long ago did this happen? Is he acting normal now?

Hello

Hi. I had posted these questions. Not sure if you got them. Did he just eat some that spilled there on the floor? Was it less than say a table spoon? How long ago did this happen? Is he acting normal now?

Maybe 5 min I went to get the paper towels and it was gone
I gave her some milk also
It was maybe two sprays
She seems to be

Ok. That is good that it was this small of an amount. The components of the Lysol spray can have caustic injuries (like a chemical burn) to the oral mucosa / oral cavity and esophagus. Treatment is mostly supportive through the initial "dilution is the solution" to the problem. Rising out the oral cavity with lots of water and getting them to drink some helps to dilute out what may be there. Vomiting isn't done as it can bring up the chemical to re-injure these tissues. With the small amount that was licked up, it shouldn't be the worst case scenario as far as bad oral lesions. There may not be any if you have already given that milk which can also help dilute things out.

just give her water to dilute the poison and just watch her?

Correct. If she starts to act painful with her mouth, not wanting to eat, getting really depressed - then a trip to the vet is needed as then more caustic injuries may have happened that need further treatment. For a girl her size and this being just two sprays, it doesn't seem like it should be a bad situation by any means.

Ok thank you. She is my baby

I hope all goes as well as it should. Give her a little ear scratching for me since I can't.

Thank you I will

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
She is good . No after effects

I'm glad to hear that all turned out well! That is great. Take care.