Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I would like to know if micro chipping is safe for dogs? I…

Hello. I would like to...
Hello. I would like to know if micro chipping is safe for dogs? I have a 1yr and 2 months old female Shih Tzu. Also, what are the pro's and cons?
1/18/2018
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. Microchipping is very safe for dogs. I have never seen any problems arise from it. It is possible to develop an abscess, especially if it is not done in clean conditions. Plus the needle is very big, so it may be better to do it when they are under anesthesia for some, but that all depends on the dog. Some just flinch. Some act like they were just shot. Other than that, there are no cons. As far as the pros go, if she is ever lost and turned into a vet clinic or shelter, the first thing they will do is scan her, get the number and call to get your information, so they can return her to you. It has brought a lot of pets back to their owners when they were lost. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH MY ANSWER, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get compensated for helping you, and we can still continue our conversation after rating at no additional charge. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Asking more specific questions usually helps a lot. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

How big is the chip? Will there be marks after? How deep will it be implanted?

The chip is implanted just under the skin, and it is maybe a little larger than a cooked grain of rice. There usually are no marks or scars after, but they area it is inserted, is usually covered with hair. Hope this helps.

Salamat Doctor. :)

Walang anuman! I hope I got that right. Got it off Google

Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Hanggang sa muli. Bibigyan kita lima bituin ngayon. Paalam.

Thanks!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Haileylove. How is everything going?

Dr. John