Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He has bloody diarrhea. There was a Wellbutrin pill that…

He has bloody diarrhea...

He has bloody diarrhea. There was a Wellbutrin pill that maybe dropped on the ground a few days ago but we looked extensively and couldn’t find it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Canelo, he’s 6

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Canelo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Canelo?

He had a new brand of dog food yesterday.

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The new food you mentioned aside, have there been any new treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

No nothing that I know of.

Thank you. And are you seeing any diarrhea, avoidance of food, nausea?

bloody diarrhea and I can tell he doesn’t feel well. He’s just laying in my arms. I didn’t see diarrhea as a possible side effect for the Wellbutrin but I wanted to make sure and to see if the vet can wait until morning.
He ate dinner hours ago and his bowl is kept empty until breakfast so he’s not avoiding food.

The new food you mentioned may be the culprit here as rapid changes in the diet can cause severe GI upset for dogs. The potential ingestion of the Wellbutrin from earlier this week is not likely to be the cause. Since you are seeing blood in the stool, it would be ideal to have him examined and treated by a veterinarian.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step to addressing the bloody stool is to move him directly over to a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Ok thank you. He will be happy with the boiled chicken actually. He has had diarrhea before. Thank you for you help