Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog is a rescue he’s about one year old. He is spayed.

Hi, my dog is a...
Hi, my dog is a rescue he’s about one year old. He is spayed. And has all his shots. He is great with me and my 2 girls. But he has attacked my husband several times. It always starts when the dog is on my bed with me. My husband just walks in the room and the dog goes after him. We have worked to keep the dog off our bed since that seems to be the trigger, but even if he jumps up for 5 seconds he starts growling and lunges after my husband. My husband isn’t as forgiving as I am and I need to get the dog to just stop this behavior regardless of whether he is on the bed or not. Otherwise I fear we will have to give him away (the dog not my husband)
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/18/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

I understand....so your dog must be kept out of the bedroom always.....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If he’s on the floor in our bedroom he is fine. It’s only when he’s on the bed.

This whole room could be a potential trigger so your dog should never be allowed in there under any circumstances.....unfortunately there is no magic way to stop the behavior other than avoidance of the trigger....

I understand, but he should not be allowed in the bedroom because he could get on the bed and each times this happens it reinforces the behavior....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. So there is no way to break him of the behavior?

This entire room needs to be cut off to him period....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok.

Other than avoidance, no ,there is no way because this is a form of aggression and the only way to handle unless you are willing to see an animal behaviorist and do intensive desensitization is avoidance.....

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I see. Well we’ll give it a go.

If you want to pay DVM,PHD $400 for consultation I can help you find a Dr who may be able to help but it will take a long time and avoidance will be part of it......would you like me to locate someone for you?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No thank you.

Please rate me 5 stars for my very prompt service. Thank you very much, DRB

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

and please let me know if you need additional help as I check my computer nightly...DRB

Hi Tricia,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Benji. How is everything going?

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian