Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our German Shepherd ran into a door and I think cut the

Our German Shepherd ran...

Our German Shepherd ran into a door and I think cut the inside of her nose. I was bleeding pretty bad for a minute but seems to be slowing down now. Watch should we do?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

She's a 4yr old German Shepherd mix. No health issues

1/18/2018
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr B. Thank you for your question! I am a DVM with 28 years experience. Please allow me a moment to review your question.

Can you see where the cut is?

it is just inside her left nostril
In the corner

how long is the cut?

I can't tell, just can see where it was bleeding from. IT is barely bleeding now. This only happened a couple of min ago

will your dog allow you to hold a wet damp towel to the area?

The bleeding seems to be stopping. What should I watch for to make sure she's ok

Just watch for continued bleeding or restarting of the bleeding.....and I would have your vet look at tomorrow to see if your dog needs sutures.....

She let us hold a paper towel to it but it isn't really bleeding anymore
Ok. I will do that. Thank you.

gotcha, can I answer any other questions for you?

Do I need to watch for concussion symptoms or anything else?

Very unlikely......

Ok. Thank you so much.

did she hit her head directly or just plummet in with her nose?

I think she went nose first. But I don't know. It was dark. She was trying to run back into the house from the snow outside.

She should be fine with the exception of very sore nose......:))

can I answer any other questions?

Can I give her Novox for the pain? Our older dog takes it so we have it on hand

what does your dog weigh?

Our older dog is 65lbs. The German Shepherd is 80lbs

ah.....what mg novox do you have?

100mg

ok, you can give your shepherd 1/2 of the 100 mg , but must give with a full meal....

That's what the older dog takes, too. I can do that

any other questions tonight?

No

You are welcome!

Please rate me 5 stars for my very prompt service and let me know if you need additional help tomorrow as I check my computer nightly....DRB

Thank you

sure thing...

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

Please remember my answers do not replace or supersede the advice of your veterinarian as my answers do not create a valid client patient relationship as I am unable to examine your pet. Thank you very much! DrB

Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

thank you and let me know if you need additional help..DRB