Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 6 year old Pit is suffering badly from hip dysplasia. He…

Customer Question
My 6 year old...

My 6 year old Pit Bull is suffering badly from hip dysplasia. He and I walk 45 minutes every day, and now that the cold weather is here at night he is starting to whimper. I understand that tramadol is a safe medicine for dogs, and very effective. What is the best way to advocate to my vet that I wish for my dogs suffering to be controlled with only that of tramadol? to

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Boston

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Boston?

No.. He's a rescue whom was rescued from a dog fighting society. He's the most gentle, loyal dog

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
1/17/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 6 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Is Boston currently on any medications at this time?

Is there a reason you wish to only use tramadol? Are you open to the usage of this medication and others, as well?

I have read thru countless forums of people whom say that tramadol has been the only medicine to ease the dog's suffering. Also, many pit bull owners have advocated for the medicine. I am open to whatever dosage the vet feels is good, yet tramadol has been universally accepted as a safe medicine for dogs

I agree that tramadol works well, but typically it's used in the presence of NSAIDs to help with control of inflammation. The reason I mention this is that most dogs with arthritis or hip dysplasia are going to receive the recommendation of being on a joint supplement and NSAIDs first, with the addition of tramadol once needed (to help with pain) and then adding medication like gabapentin or amantidine if needed, in the future.

If your companion is not already on a joint supplement, I would recommend starting one. My favorite are http://www.glycoflex.com products. I would schedule a veterinary visit with your vet to examine Boston and discuss using NSAIDs to start. You may request a prescription of tramadol "to be used as needed" if the NSAIDs do not offer complete pain relief. For some aging dogs, especially in winter, as the season becomes cooler or there is ice/snow on the ground the addition of tramadol is often needed. Once Boston is needing to use a joint supplement, NSAIDs and tramadol you can discuss adding other pain medication, again, "as needed" and move in to using it daily as the arthritis/hip dysplasia progresses.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?