Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog yepled and whined last night after i put pressure on…

My dog yepled and...

My dog yepled and whined last night after i put pressure on his chest to lift him into the car. Today he is still in pain and i cant tell if there is swelling or really get a good lovation in it other than his upper chest. He is 10, pembroke corgi, and has been duagnosed with degenerative myleopothy of the spine.But this issue is not one the vet described he would experience

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Edison

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Edison?

Hes had surgery on his 2 elbows to realign them, that was at 6 months though and he hasnt had issues since. Also his spine disorder causes periodic lameness in his back legs but so far not his front

1/17/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

DM is not typically characterized with pain, though there is strong potential here that Edison may be experiencing another condition that is not DM causing pain. Visible swelling is not necessary for pain to be present and there's good potential that you may not see anything visibly wrong, especially if he's fully coated. I am concerned with the information you've shared that Edison may have some soreness in his back. Dogs that are short to the ground and long in the spine are prone to a condition called IVDD or intervertebral disc disease.

This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/ It's likely going to be very difficult to differentiate symptoms of IVDD from DM. Your vet will probably recommend diagnostics like myelogram, CT or MRI to determine what Edison is experiencing and why. Treatment is likely to include muscle relaxes, NSAIDs and pain medication. Since symptoms of IVDD are apt to progress without treatment I would highly recommend that given his history of DM that you not wait to see if this improves on its own. Conservative measures can be taken, if needed, which should include cage rest for a few days to a few weeks time, usage of a harness instead of a collar, etc.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you, ***** ***** talk to our vet

You're very welcome. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse