Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My sons 5 month old Doberman has had diarrhea for past two…

My sons 5 month old...
My sons 5 month old Doberman has had diarrhea for past two or three days. He’s up all night wanting to be let out to potty. He’s always got soft stools then diarrhea again prior to this time. He no other symptoms except excessive thirst compared to her other dog. Any ideas what could be causing it. She’s tried rice and chicken but it didn’t seem to help. He’s also got really bad gas.
1/17/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Have you had the stool checked for protazoa and parasites?

What food does he normally eat? (brand)

Is this an ongoing problem, meaning through life?

Did you fast the dog before giving rice and chicken?

No checking on the stool
Food Into the wild
Blue buffalo
Neutro
Kirkland
How long do we stop feeding before the chicken and rice
How about using garlic?
He’s got tons of energy and drinks lots of water

Fast for 24 hours then start the bland diet.

Garlic is toxic to dogs.

You may have to look into a food that is for sensitive digestive systems. Hills science diet often has food for this. Also be careful how you do a changeover of food. If it is not done slowly by mixing old with new over the course of a few days to a week , the new food can cause a problem.

I would also drop off a stool sample to test for parasites and protazoa as this can cause soft stool /diarrhea.

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
They put the dog on a completely raw diet of meat and vegetables. He loves it and is doing much better. I guess this is ok?

Many people use a raw diet and that is fine. Just be sure to use recipes that have been tested to include all the nutrients a dog needs. There is much information out there if they just google it.