Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 7 pound dog ate a 110 mg clonodine sulfate capsule. What…

My 7 pound dog...

My 7 pound dog ate a 110 mg clonodine sulfate capsule. What do I do. It just happened now.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Maybe four years, female pomerainian named sparkle.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Sparkle

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sparkle?

She is fat other wise she would be 5 pounds or so. healthy. Runt in that she is unusually small for a pom

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Clonidine usually comes in much smaller dosages (such as 0.1mg). Are you certain these are 110mg and, if so, are they certainly clonidine?

I took a sleeping pill and am elderly. I misread label it is made by NOW , it is chondroiten sulfate, 600 mg no glucosomine listed on bottle.
two components sodium 110 mg, chondroiten sodium sulfate 1,200 mg

I am glad I asked! Whew! Well, this is much better than having consumed such a high level of clonidine! A glucosamine tablet will not be a major concern. You might see some GI upset, but likely not much else. Be on the look out for nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. If any of these arise, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Thank you. I gave her a tiny chunk of 20 mg pill, a guestimate of 3 mg worth of fementodine. I need to go to sleep as sleeping pill I took before all this happened has kicked in. There are no symptoms still, it may be 40 minutes. I can sleep now. Thank you so much.

You're welcome. Good luck to you both!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
In the morning I found the supplement capsule it had spit out. All has been well. Thank you.