Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 5 yr old mini dachshund (she’s a rescue I’ve only had her…

My 5 yr old...

My 5 yr old mini dachshund (she’s a rescue I’ve only had her for 4 weeks) Just stopped being able to walk. She goes 10 inches & sits. The funny thing is I just took her to the Vet today & he said she was in good health for a rescue. I’m very distressed about this.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes. She has nothing on her foot.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

Lola

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lola?

No. I know she was mistreated before the shelter finally rescued her. She was malnourished & was losing her hair. But since we rescued her she hasn’t stopped wagging her tail. Until today.

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Was she examined by your vet before or after the symptoms began?

Are you noticing any problems in the usage of her legs? Are the feet dragging, back end swaying or feet turning under?

Any scooting behavior?

Happened after visit. She doesn’t walk long enough to tell which leg is affected. She goes a few inches & sits
I cannot call. I am an RN & am working the overnight shift at the moment.

As you may well know, small breed dogs are prone to a condition known as IVDD or intervertebral disk disease. This commonly manifests itself as discomfort in the neck and back. We can see symptoms as minor as tenderness and as major as full paralysis of the back legs. You can learn more here: http://sevneurology.com/articles/intervertebral-disk-disease-ivdd-in-dogs/ With conditions like this, we typically do not see anything abnormal until a major problem begins so your vet may not have witnessed any symptoms to suggest there was anything wrong. Now that you're seeing the walking for a few inches and sitting it would be wise to have her examined again. Your vet will want to check for other potentials, like anal gland problems, which can cause sensitivity when walking. If they find nothing there they may recommend bloodwork and x-rays of the spine, as well. Other diagnostics such as myelogram, CT or MRI may also be recommended if the suspect IVDD to be the root of the problem. Conservative care will likely be possible at this stage but referral to a specialist and surgery may be needed in the future if symptoms worsen. If you wish to try something at home and she is not currently on any medication, you can give aspirin in a pinch. Please see the following link for info about dosing and risks: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ If this is mild discomfort causing the walking and sitting the aspirin should help. Your vet can also try a few different medications to see if they help, as well, such as canine-safe NSAIDs, muscle relaxers and pain medication (like tramadol).

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Ok thank you.