Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Is bruising normal after spleenectomy? My 8 yo golden came…

Is bruising normal after...

Is bruising normal after spleenectomy? My 8 yo golden came home 2 days post surgery and is bruised pretty badly on his belly with some balloon like swelling on his left side.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Stanley

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Stanley?

The spleenectomy was due to tumor rupture. He presented with with low red blood cell count initially. Its held steady at 18 since surgery but prior to being sent home we were told lots of baby red blood cells were found I guess developing in his last sample.

1/17/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Has your veterinarian raised any concerns over immune mediated disorders with you surrounding the spleen involvement?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She's brought up the big "C" word. He had an ultrasound prior to leaving the er this evening. No internal bleeding, nor other tumors were found. I'm just concerned over the swelling on his side and bruising. I called the er after I had left and a tech told me that the doctor had placed notes in Stans file about the swelling and bruising and that I need to monitor.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm just a worried dog mom...over thinking since I don't have the pathology reports back and want to fix him immediately.

I think you have good reason to be concerned and I would schedule a recheck with the doctor. Although the tech has asked you to monitor I don't imagine they're thinking that the bruising you're seeing is to this degree. We can see bruising and swelling following surgery but typically it's mild. I am concerned about the potential for an immune-mediated disorder to be present as we commonly see this type of bruise with immune-mediated thrombocytopenia. I do think a recheck where the vet can see precisely what you're seeing is indicated at this point. They may personally know of trauma that took place during the surgery of which neither you nor I are aware. It would be their place to alleviate your worry. I will say that if Stanley was my personal dog I would arrange a visit for good measure. Most vets will recheck their surgical patients without charge if the owner is concerned. I suspect that additional bloodwork may be recommended to check not only his hematocrit but also his platelet level.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We have to go into my regular vet either tomorrow or by Thursday morning to check his red blood cell count anyway so I'll bring up my concern over the side swelling and bruising. In the meantime I guess I'll do warm compress?

Yes, warm compresses should be fine. You can use a heating pad set to low with a dish or bath towel between the pad and his skin.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse