Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog pooped all over my apartment while I was away for a…

My dog pooped all over...
My dog pooped all over my apartment while I was away for a few hours. Solid. She then started whining, not much - but she never whines. And when I took her out it was diarrhea. What could this be?
She is a six year old lab-pit mix. She has no health problems and I see no signs of her having gotten in to anything in the kitchen or elsewhere.
1/17/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Has she had any vomiting?

Same food. Same amount. I gave her a ham bone from Walmart yesterday. As for human food, I haven't, but two weeks ago I fed her grapes before finding out how bad that is for them. No torn up toys or trash that I can see. There is apparently a new dog in the apartment above me. Could be why she is whining. No vomiting.

Although they are marked for pet consumption ham bones should never be given to dogs. They can not only cause severe GI upset but they can cause pancreatitis as well as punctures, perforations, lacerations, blockages and impaction of the bowels.

I suspect that she is likely going to have diarrhea for at least the next 12 hours until her bowels are completely empty. You may witness vomiting, as well. It would be ideal to have her examined and treated by your vet since a bone is involved and she's also had grapes. Bloodwork would be wise, as well as GI x-rays and treatment such as fluid therapy, antibiotics and probiotics to help firm the stool, etc.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Understood. I will take her to the vet tomorrow. As for the grapes, that was two weeks ago. Wouldn't that have passed by now?

The grapes would have physically passed by now, yes, but grapes can cause a toxicity and kidney problems. Enough of them can cause kidney compromise and failure. More info here: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/toxicology/food-hazards/raisins-and-grapes

Basically bloodwork is needed to know if the grapes have caused problems that you cannot outwardly see.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Okay. I'll have that done first thing tomorrow. Thanks.