Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My beautiful girl is a Cane Corso and is only 2 years old.

Customer Question
My beautiful girl is...

My beautiful girl is a Cane Corso and is only 2 years old. Almost two months ago she had to have obstruction surgery. She had are a pillow cushion. They noticed that she had a large amount of fluid in her belly and removed all. She was fine for about three to four days but then the diarreah started and kept on going. We took her back to the vet and they gave her some Aldon. Still progressed and we noticed her belly swelling. We took her back and they did blood work and xrays and found fluid. They diagnosed her with inflammatory bowel disease. So my doctor sent us to a internal doctor. She prescribed prednisone and a lot of antibiotics. We are just finishing up all but no change. Her weight is extremely low and she is just skin and bone. She is still eating, drinking but is becoming weaker by the day.....What else can we so to save her????? Her heart is fine. No parasites....We need any help....

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

Xleo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Xleo?

Cleo.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
She finished up on the pancreas antibiotic which was a milky fluid. She also put her on Metronidazole, Prednisone and Aldactone. We also have been giving her a multi vitamin and a probiotic. Could it be something else besides IBD like cushings syndrome?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/17/2018
Dog Specialist: Joan, Vet Tech replied 7 months ago
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

I am going to ask if Your Cane Corso Girl was tested for EPI, Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency?

Joan

Joan,
I'm not sure. Would that cause fluid in the abdomen?

Fluid in the abdomen is not on the list of issues with EPI. My thoughts with EPI was the dog not being able to absorb the Nutrients in the food leaving her thin even though eating normal amounts.

Usually when we see Ascites which is the fluid in the Abdomen it is related to the Liver.

I will opt out so other Experts can weigh in on this. I do hope they find out what is going on.

Joan