Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Trying to vomit but nothing comes out. Chewing on tail,

Trying to vomit but...

Trying to vomit but nothing comes out. Chewing on tail, walking around

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

3 yr old 50 lb hound mountain dog mix

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the hound eat anything unusual?

Not really but he's been doing this about 1 hr now he's barking

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the hound's name?

Max

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?

Threw up food earlier about 2 hrs ago. Went outside ate leaves came in and threw up. Hasn't produced much except Muslims since

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
he just went in the other room and ate some paper. now he's barking
We took him out and he ate grass and leaves.
I meant mucus in the first email.
1/17/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

Are you seeing any abdominal swelling?

Any diarrhea?

no
No
no changes in diet, etc

If the retching without production has persisted, I would highly recommend that you have Max examined and treated by a veterinarian.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If him chewing on the tail persists, an examination should be performed. I would look closely for any injury, fleas, growths, etc. If you notice fleas, he should be placed on a flea prevention promptly. If there are any open wounds, you can use neosporin 2x daily and he will need to be placed into an e-collar to prevent further trauma to the area: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU. If there are no signs of anything causing the itching, once vomiting has stopped you can try 1-2mg/pound of body weight of Benadryl given orally every 8-12 hours to help with itching.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is your companion doing today?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse