Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

He just vomited twice & is licking the carpet.. he is very…

He just vomited twice...

He just vomited twice & is licking the carpet.. he is very alert, I’m at a hotel out of town, he is making a weird swallowing sound, won’t drink water, it cane all the sudden, in the throw up wer treats he had eaten, he is going crazy with licking..

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Karamelo, 6months old, minutiae dachshund

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Karamelo?

He is pretty healthy this is the first time this hapns

He just vomited again more treats
1/17/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

Please pick up the water for now. He is nauseaous and that is why he is licking the carpet. We need to get a 10 mg Pepcid AC and give him 1/4 of a tablet every 12 hours to help stop the nausea. You will have to withhold food for 12 hours. Once the vomiting stops, he can have some small amounts of water tonight. Tomorrow he will need a bland diet of one part skinless chicken breast to 3 parts white rice. If you cannot do that, you can try some chicken baby food in small increments.

Since you are in a Hotel, this may be stress related. If you can get to a local Vet you can also buy a couple of cans of ID dog food which is a bland diet to help until you can get home.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

What about the hiccup like sound, now he’s like coughing but nothing is coming out, he wants to play & still very alert..

It sounds like reflux and trying to vomit again. Hopefully the Pepcid AC will stop all of this. It is almost a form of wretching.

Joan

Can I give him Nexium instead? He weighs 8lbs
I hv nexium here

No it does not work as well we can use Tagamet, Zantac or Pepecid and it is the easiest to dose

Joan

Nexium can cause further vomiting, gas and Diarrhea.

Joan

He just threw up three times now a bunch of chicken

Many convience stores ahave small packs of Pepcid AC or Walmarts are still open at this time.

Zantac is 1 mg per pound of body weight every 12 hours

Tagamet 3-5 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours.

Joan

He may throw up more untless we can settle the stomach. The reason for not feeding and a bland diet after 12 hours is to allow the stomach to rest.

Joan

How do I give it to him

The Pepcid is small especially 1/4 tablet. You can get it right down his throat. They also have some that disolve instantly when put in the mouth.

Joan

Going to the store to buy it now
I don’t hv pull pockets tho

I will be here until about 1am est. if needed. If I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars when you have time.

Joan

Do not use Pill pockets, just open the mouth and right to the back of the throat, close mouth and and rub the throat.

Joan

They have original or maximum strength

Original strength is the 10mg and he gets 1/4 tablet.

Joan

How long will it take for the pill to work? He has like white foam now
It’s like drool

That may be a result of the taste of a pill. It should work within 20-30 mins and start to settle the stomach. You can give him small increments of water if the vomiting is stopped. Not too much water because that can start the vomiting started again.

Allow him to relax and it should stop and he should start feeling better shortly.

Joan

He threw up the pill
Just white foam & the pill.. what do I do? Give him another piece?
He is tired & sleepy on my lap
It wasn’t the pill

Just allow him to sleep. Tomorrow after 12 hours a bland diet if skinless chicken breast 1 part /3 parts white rice. If you cannot get it you can pick up a jar of stage 1 chicken baby food. The Pill did not make him sleepy he is just exhausted.

Joan

If he is woozy in the morning he can have a little pancake syrup on his gums. He blood glucose levels may be low from all the vomiting. a Little pancake syrup will help perk him up, Normally I would suggest Nutrical, but I know it is hard to run looking for a pet shop.

Joan

He just gagged three times

I am hoping by morning he is his playful and Perk self and the bland diet for a few days will allow his stomach to rest.

Did you have any further questions I can help with tonight?

Joan

What is his weight? I want to see if we can give a little more Pepcid.

Joan

8lbs last Vet visit he might be more now..

I just checked and at 8 pounds, he had all he can have for 12 hours.

If the vomiting continues you may need an ER Vet visit. I am hoping the gagging will not amount to anything and he will stettle in for the night.

If you Supply a City State and Zipcode I can try and locate a clinic should you need it.

Joan

I’m at 2 Bryle Pl, Chester, NY 10918, he went inside his crate in his bed sleeping
Thank you! Will like VET Clinic info just in case, will be heading home tomorrow..

This Vet clinic is within 10 miles

Orange County Animal Emergency Service

517 NY-211
Middletown, NY 10941
***-***-****

Hopefully you will not need it and the Pepcid did its job.

Is there anything else I can assist you with? If not please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I get a positive rating. I would also appreciate an update in the morning on how he is doing.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Thank you!

How is your little one today? I wanted to check in.

Joan

He is good, thank you for all your help!

So glad to hear he is better.

Joan