Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My EBD suddenly started drooling and licking. Winston and…

Customer Question
My EBD suddenly started...

My EBD suddenly started drooling and licking

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do with the drooling. What is the dog's name and age?

Winston and he’s 2.5 yrs old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Winston?

His vet suspects he may have acid reflux and has prescribed him omeprazole.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
1/17/2018
Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 7 months ago
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

I love the name Winston. I'll have to remember that one. Very fitting name.

Excessive saliva(drooling) and gulping and licking his mouth are signs of mouth pain, nausea or sometimes a seizure. I'm pretty sure your vet would have checked for these things but it is best to go ahead and mention them and talk a bit more about acid reflux, excess bile, etc.

Check your dog’s mouth for tartar on the teeth, possibly red gums, darkened teeth, broken teeth or something caught between the teeth or gums. If you find something stuck, try and remove it. If it is bad teeth, you can give him Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.

Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm

If you suspect it may be due to nausea you can try some Pepto-Bismol but the omeprazole should have a similar effect. Pepto-bismol can be given to a dog at 1 teaspoon per 5 pounds every 6 hours for upset stomach, gas, or diarrhea.

You can read more about excessive salivation on the following website:

https://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/ptyalism-hypersalivation-drooling-dogs/

Now omeprazole should help for acid reflux. You can also do some other things to help with the situation. You can make his meals smaller and more frequent. This keeps food in his belly for longer periods of time so excess bile doesn't build up in the stomach which can lead to the acid reflux. Make one a small meal right before bedtime since many incidents happen first thing in the morning. Adding a good probiotic to his diet can also help by adding good bacteria to his stomach and facilitate better gastrointestinal health to naturally keep the acid under control.

So check the things I mentioned even though I'm sure your vet already did, continue the medication as your vet recommended, feed smaller more frequent meals and add a probiotic. These things should help the situation.

If you have any further questions concerning this matter or need clarification, please do not hesitate to respond. At the conclusion of our correspondence, your 5-star rating will be most appreciated, as this will enable me to continue to send quality answers to additional clients and receive recognition from the website for my assistance.

Dog Specialist: Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst replied 6 months ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Hi Again,
I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful. If so I hope you will take the opportunity to let me know if this was helpful to you.