Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

I started a message on my iPad and sent it too soon by

I started a message...

I started a message on my iPad and sent it too soon by accident! Our pug/terrier cross dog developed a limp in his back legs 4 weeks ago and then rapidly became completely paralised in all four legs. He has lost his voice as well. Our local vets ruled out a lot of things. Two vets have diagnosed it as coon hound disease and he is having rehab, but neither clinic we go to have treated dogs with this condition. We just want to find someone who has dealt with coon hound disease to talk to.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes we have checked and 2 vets have inspected him all over.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the pug's name?

Dexter

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dexter?

He is eating and drinking as normal and going to the toilet. We need to carry him outside and wash him after.

1/17/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

It sounds like Dexter has been diagnosed with ACIP: Acute canine idiopathic polyradiculoneuritis. This is essentially Coonhound paralysis without exposure to raccoons. It's believed to be an immune-medicated nerve inflammation disorder. I will warn you, though, I've been in the field for over 15 years and have had one personal dog with ACIP. I wound up going to a specialist in my state and they had only (in 40 years of specializing in neurological cases) seen only 1 other cases. I am concerned that you are going to find the same to be true in your area as many vets never come across a true case of ACIP, not to mention having treated multiples. That said, I will be happy to look in to some options for you and Dexter. Can you tell me where in Australia you're located?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We are in whittlesea just north of Melbourne city in Victoria.

The research I have been able to do for you has left two veterinary locations at the top of the list. These are the only two locations I could find in AU with accreditation in neurology.

1) http://www.u-vet.com.au/services/neurology
2) https://www.vicvetneuro.com/our-practice/

You may need to contact both to determine which would be a better location to oversee your companion's care. It would not be a bad idea to schedule an examination with the veterinary neurologist at each location to discuss treatment, as well.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
Customer reply replied 28 days ago
Dexter is having rehab therapy twice a week at the local vet. He has a mixture of hydro therapy, massage,and acupuncture. We cant see much change but the vet says at last treatment he was moving his legs more in the bath. He is going to our local osteopath, who treats people and animals tomorrow. A friend is paying for that for us. Dexter eats well but is losing muscle bulk so looking thinner.It is like having a baby as when he cries we have to guess what he wants! He gets lots of cuddles at the vet! Thank you for your interest. My daughter Laura is looking up the web sites you suggested.
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse