Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I'm wondering why my dog was on his back rolling from side…

Hi, I'm wondering why...

Hi, I'm wondering why my dog was on his back rolling from side to side fast ! Could it be a seizure ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?

Char-lee age 5 1/2

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Char-lee

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Yes he has seperation anxiety bad

1/17/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 35+ years.

was there anything other than the rolling from side to side happening? How long did it last?

Was he tired after it?

If you called his name during the roll, did he respond to his name?

Any drooling?

Any passing of urine or stool during the rolling?

Joan

nothing else happened., no he didn't respond to my saying his name, it lasted about 2 mintues, no drooling, and no peeing or pooping . He came out it and acted like his old self. and has been fine since then. it happened on Monday night. about 9 pm. Once I held him he came out of it and at first seemed confused but not for long He had been asleep under the covers and it woke me up. i thrw the covers off and saw him going from one side to the other real fast.
I'm having a problem with my computer. can we just talk with text

I am sorry, it seems the Phone call would not go through as the site has an extra chage for it. I can assist you here.

What you are describing does not really fit into the Seizure categories that we see, although the timing of two minutes and then the post ictal period of being tired is within the realm of seizure.

It could have been a Petit Mal which basically just suggest he was unresponsive and his body was causing the rolling rather than hi physically controling his and actions. A seizure is an electrical storm in the brain where the body does not control what is happening.

At this point in time, I would monitor him for any other odd behaviors. If anything grab a camera and video what is happening. This would help your Vet determine what is going on and how to treat it. Some dogs may have one seizure and never another. Some seizure activity is and some considered Canine Epilepsy and some are just idiopathic unknown origin.

Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

i just gave my credit card info a couple of hours ago. But i really can't afford a call right now.

I just posted an answer, No problem with the call that is the auto prompt from the site.

Joan

Other seizure activity could be biting the air called fly catching, a grand Mal where he looses all bodily control.

This link goes over some of the various types of seizures and what you may see that is involved:

https://canna-pet.com/types-dog-seizures/

Please hit reply to discuss this information. When I have addressed your concerns, please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars. I am not paid by the site until I have a positive rating. We can still discuss this issue even after rating.

Joan

Ok thank you sooo much. !! I will watch him like I've been doing and let you know ! As of now he's acting completely normal. I feel that his anxiety is a cause. He is so afraid of me leaving him he actually cries and never lets me out of his sight. He is Chihuahua and Mini Pin. Suppose was abuse as a baby. I got him from some lady walking around our Mobilehome Park with him in her purse. I don't leave him often. Once again Thank You !

You are welcome! Please do not forget to rate my service and I am here to assist you any time.

Joan

Where do I rate it ?

There should be 5 stars at the top of the page just click all 5 stars.

Thank you

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
I think you did a great job in answering me and eased my fear of what is wrong with him. I have no complaints !
oh ok Will do !

Thank you! if the 5 stars are clicked, I will be paid for my time and answers by the site.

Joan

Hope all is well and It will not happen again.

Joan

you are welcome !