Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dogs breast are saggy and she has milk but i havent left…

My dogs breast are...

My dogs breast are saggy and she has milk but i havent left her unsupervised with the other dogs

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?

I think she maybe be pregnant but unsure

Veterinarian's Assistant: We need to be extra careful with pregnancies, so we'll need to connect you with the Veterinarian ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

She is a small chihuahua ***** ***** mix

1/16/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

If you are reasonably sure that your dog did not mate with another dog then the following may well be the case ...

1. When a dog has a season it is a normal part of the cycle that some weeks later she will have what is called a false pregnancy. While the symptoms of a false pregnancy can vary it often includes temporary breast and nipple enlargement and sometimes even milk production, often these dogs can also be moody or nervous and will sometimes carry toys around as if they are puppies and can start to make nests. Of course, if there is any doubt your local vet will be able to differentiate between a real pregnancy and a false pregnancy.

2. If this is what is going on { A false pregnancy } as seems very likely then there is no safe treatment for this in my opinion, there are hormones preparations which can be given but I would not use them on my own bitch so I would hesitate to suggest this for you. The good news is that false pregnancy is a natural process and will regress on its own in one to two weeks time and everything should then return to normal. Dogs which have been spayed do not get false pregnancies by the way...

4. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello, thank you for your time. She could have mated with one of my moms dogs when i wasnt home just not sure. She had a stillborn last year so i remember how she changed and acted through the pregnancy. She got really clingy especially when she was in labor. I will keep watching her for anymore changes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It just worries me with how little she is.

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

I see your dilemma, possibly the best thing to do under the circumstances is to have your local vet check her over so you are sure you know what you are dealing with and can make any necessary preparations. A quick blood test or an ultrasound scan will tell you what you want to know ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I will get her seen as soon as i can. Again thank you for your time.

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Please let me know how things go ...

Regards,

Dr Scott