Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate the bathroom trash (tissue, to roll, paper,

My dog ate the...

My dog ate the bathroom trash (tissue, to roll, paper, qtips, etc. two days in a row. Both times I gave hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting because it was a lot of trash. Tonight he vomited liquid that had blood in it. He’s 53 lbs. night one he got 25ml of HP. The second night he got 50 ml HP because the first 25 ml did not work. Wondering if he should get Pepcid AC ??

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?

Mir

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Mir?

Moe

1/16/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Anytime blood is being produced in the vomit we do recommend an examination, diagnostics and veterinary treatment.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better that includes Pepcid. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

To clarify, night one he got 25ml of HP. It worked and he vomited. The second night he ate trash 25ml didn’t induce vomiting so I repeated dose and he got50 ml in all and vomited.

I understood what you meant. Did my post come through above?

I am not concerned about the trash ingestion. That was solved with the vomiting. I am concerned that the HP has caused a problem as evidenced by the blood in vomit produced tonight (not with HP) for no apparent reason. Should I be concerned? Also the Pelcid AC warns do not take if experiencing vomiting with blood.
The trash ingestion and administration of the HP happened last night and the night before last.

but unless I missed it, I didn’t see a reference to the peroxide

As you mentioned, the vomiting occurred with the second dose of peroxide which means the peroxide would have been produced in the vomitus. Peroxide is an irritant which causes the vomiting and likely why the bleeding is present. As you've mentioned, with blood present famotidine is contraindicated but it is a good choice to be used along with a bland diet if you cannot have a veterinary visit. In cases following peroxide ingestion we often give a gastric protectant like sucralfate or similar vs. pepcid.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. He vomited with blood tonight. The peroxide was administered yesterday and the day before yesterday. No HP was given today. I am concerned that it was wrong and damaging to give the peroxide two days in a row. And that those dosages could have caused today’s bloody vomit (produced spontaneously with no peroxide)

Yes, I understand that. It's likely the reason you're seeing blood is due to the irritation caused by the back-to-back administration and repeated vomiting you witnessed 2 days in a row. The vomiting needs to be treated and a gastric protectant administered. This would be best done with a veterinary visit. If one is not possible, you can use the directions above with the pepcid which should help reduce the instance of vomiting and the bland diet should facilitate healing from the irritation of the peroxide that was previously administered.

Okay. Thank you for your help. I just purchased the Pepcid. Heading home now.

You're welcome. Good luck! I hope he's feeling better soon.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy