Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ate a couple of my multivamins out of the container.

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a couple of my multivamins out of the container. I’m not sure when he ate them, and it doesn’t look like he had many. I’m just concerned

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He’s 60lb, male GSP, a little over 4 years old

1/16/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that you are concerned that your pup may have eaten some multivitamins.

The good news is that he is a fairly big dog, and that it takes a tremendous amount of multivitamins to cause a problem for a dog his size.

The biggest concern is when they eat huge amounts of vitamin D-3, but again that would be only if he ate more than 0.5mgs of vitamin D-3 per kilogram (2.2 pounds) of body weight in one sitting. That would be very unlikely to be the case by eating multivitamins.

The only concern is if these vitamins were flavored, the chewable or gummy types that contain xylitol, an artificial sweetener. That sweetener is highly toxic in dogs, and that would be cause for concern and have him seen at an emergency clinic.

If these did not contain xylitol I would not worry.

He may have mild nausea and loose stools, but that should be the extent of the effects of eating a few multivitamins. In his case it sounds like isn't even an issue for him, as he seems fine now.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian