Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My dog ate 3 peppermint patties. He is 10 lbs, has diarrhea…

My dog ate 3 peppermint...
My dog ate 3 peppermint patties. He is 10 lbs, has diarrhea and extra energy but no other symptoms so far. Should I take him to the vet, I'm concerned with his small weight
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/16/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. I guess these were chocolate coated?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
About 5 hours ago and yes chocolate coated

Hello again Heather,

The chances are that this is not so serious and it may well be something you can handle yourself, however, I have worked out a fuller answer for you below.

1. I would not worry about this too much, hopefully, the chocolate coating would be below any toxic level even for a small dog like your one, I am fairly certain this will be the case because if serious symptoms of chocolate toxicity were going to occur they would have started to do so so a couple of hours ago. The chances are that what you are seeing is a mild tummy upset due to the sudden ingestion of a fair amount of unaccustomed human type food, this can happen when a dog eats almost anything unusual for it, if this is the cause it is not likely to be serious and the diarrhoea should soon pass on its own given 24 - 48 hours. Peppermint is non-toxic to dogs by the way, but I will give you a few tips on how to handle things.

2. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

3. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water and is drinking.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

4. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, one teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs.

5. Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Just a short note to thank you very much for the good rating, this is very much appreciated.

Please let me know how things go ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Heather,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?