Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

Has had the runs but sometimes it is hard and his rectum is…

Has had the runs...

Has had the runs but sometimes it is hard and his rectum is red now for about a week

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

He wants to lay and run...doesn’t act sick at all

Veterinarian's Assistant: Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?

I meant play...sorry

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Been good til last week...just started suddenly

Answered in 1 hour by:
1/15/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

I am very sorry to see that none of our other Experts have reached out to you before now. I just came online and found that your question had not been addressed. How is your companion at this time?​ Can you share pictures of what you're seeing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have no pictures...this morning was very loose stool again

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Has he had any diagnostics for the diarrhea?

Are you seeing any protruding tissue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No...i changed his food last night to beneful...feeding him half of normal amount...he is happy as can be..just when he has to go...he cant hold back until he gets outside...i gave him a work pill yesterday to see if it helps...i was suppoaed to do that 2 weeks or so ago

What pill was this?

Are you seeing any protruding tissue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sentinel
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sentinel was the bill
Protruding some on saturday...not today...no tissue

Any rapid change in food could cause him to have diarrhea. And the inflammation of the anal tissue is highly concerning and should be examined by your vet. Until this is possible, I can give you some steps to take at home. You can apply regular neosporin 2x daily to help with discomfort of the anal tissue. I would also recommend that you give only a bland diet, high in fiber, for a few days to form the stool. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse