Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

My 4 yo terrier has had sudden loss of the use of her hind…

My 4 yo terrier...

My 4 yo terrier has had sudden loss of the use of her hind legs. On Thurs it started as her taking unusually small steps instead of running along and by that evening she was faltering on her hind quarters but could still walk and wag her tail. Brought her to our vet who stretched her legs out and diagnosed a dislocated hip. Couldn't x ray until the following morning so we brought her home and just watched her all night. Within an hour of arriving home (c. 21.00 hrs) she had lost complete use of the legs and was no longer wagging her tail. Vet x rayed the following day and there was no sign of dislocation, prolapse disc, swelling on her spine or infection. Her x rays were clean. We live in rural Ireland and there is no access to MRI for animals. Vet was great and gave her a large shot of steroids and simply told us to wait. So far, since that shot, she has had diarrhoea on Sat (which I understand will be from the steroid) and a small bowl movement today. She urinates regularly on pads. Small appetite but nothing major. She is eager to drag herself from room to room and will eat from our hands (and this little lady loves to eat!!). There has been small flexing in her toes and tail but no weight can be applied. If we lift her she can yelp but not always. She's adored here, our little baby with three big babies outside (4 yo GSD male and two 1 yo GSD females). We are just heartbroken as she is so young and normally so full of life. She's also very vocal but hasn't so much as grumbled since Thurs. Any advice?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound, no sign of trauma. Vet is also just stumped!

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Holly and she's 4 since Sept. JRT x Sheepdog apparently (she's a rescue).

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?

She's neutered and had a gastro infection when she was 6 months. As I said we live rural and she loves to root through fields and dykes but is wormed every 6 weeks. She is fed dry food with only scraps of meat and veg from our table.

1/15/2018
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech

My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet Tech for 35+ years. I would like to assist you.

What you are describing sounds like Invertebratal disc Disease. In many instances if the X ray is not strong enough problems can be missed. There are oter tests that can be done to determine if this is the problem and then treat accordingly. A Mylogram is where the Vet will run some dyd in the spinal cord to see what is going on and if an MRI is not available that would be the next step in diagnosis.

I did find a Veterinary Neurologist that is in Ireland if you can get your dog in and they will be better suited to do a complete Neurological exam and determine what is going on. This is a link for the Veterinary Neurologist:

http://www.gilabbeyvet.com/neurology.html

He needs to be on complete cage rest and no moving around.

This is a link for information on IVDD:

http://vetspecialists.com/intervertebral-disc-disease-ivdd-in-dogs-herniated-disc/

I hope you will look over this information and find it useful to help get your boy back on all for feet. Please hit reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Joan, thank you so much for your detailed reply. We have kept Holly on bedrest since receiving your advice, and we continue to give her prednisone 5mg x 2 per day. I can definitely see and improvement in her already. She is defecating and urinating on her own many times a day; although sometimes I do help completely empty the bladder but without putting any pressure on her back. I lifted her yesterday to help her pee and she definitely lifted her tail slightly. Also, I squeeze the pads on her for a few times a day and she will pull away with both legs, a little farther and with more force every time. Again, thanks for your advice, it was very helpful and much appreciated.Cheryl
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Joan, thank you so much for your detailed reply. We have kept Holly on bedrest since receiving your advice, and we continue to give her prednisone 5mg x 2 per day. I can definitely see and improvement in her already. She is defecating and urinating on her own many times a day; although sometimes I do help completely empty the bladder but without putting any pressure on her back. I lifted her yesterday to help her pee and she definitely lifted her tail slightly. Also, I squeeze the pads on her paws a few times a day and she will pull away with both legs, a little farther and with more force every time. Again, thanks for your advice, it was very helpful and much appreciated.Cheryl
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi Joan, thank you so much for your detailed reply. We have kept Holly on bedrest since receiving your advice, and we continue to give her prednisone 5mg x 2 per day. I can definitely see and improvement in her already. She is defecating and urinating on her own many times a day; although sometimes I do help completely empty the bladder but without putting any pressure on her back. I lifted her yesterday to help her pee and she definitely lifted her tail slightly. Also, I squeeze the pads on her paws a few times a day and she will pull away with both legs, a little farther and with more force every time. Again, thanks for your advice, it was very helpful and much appreciated.
Cheryl

You can use a sling under her abdomen to support her for urination standing/squatting. I am glad there is improvement and you do have an optionof a Neurologist to guide you.

Give Holly some scratches for me and please ask for me if you need further help.

Joan

Joan
Joan
Joan, Vet Tech