Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog is licking himself excessively and it turns his coat…

My dog is licking...

My dog is licking himself excessively and it turns his white coat red

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Rossi about 10 years old

Answered in 1 minute by:
1/14/2018
Dwight Alleyne

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for?

Several weeks
I know he has allergies his skin gets very pink at times and then better but lately much worse

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is he on flea medication? Are you noticing any flaky or irritated skin where he is licking? A common cause for dogs to excessive lick themselves includes some type of allergies whether it is due to fleas, things in the environment such as grass or mold, or some type of insect bite. Is he on any medications currently? He may need some medications to help ease the itching of the sking.

Not on any flea meds and yes I noticed he has some flaky skin on his behind

Okay even if you are not seeing fleas I would recommend putting him on some type of flea medication just in case there are fleas that you are not seeing. You can try Benadryl and an oatmeal shampoo to see if it helps with the itching as well. If those are not effective enough you can ask your veterinarian about trying a newer medication called Apoquel which has worked well with my patients with allergies as well.

R u still there

Did you get my last response?

Thank you I will take your advice

You are welcome. Let me know if you have any further questions. There is also a new Allergy shot called Cytopoint that has been sucessful with allergies as well.

In advance, Thanks for giving a rating! Ratings are how I receive credit for helping you today and help me better serve customers in the future.

If you need further assistance for this problem before or after rating feel free to ask a follow up and I'll be
glad to help.

Thanks Dr. Alleyne

Dwight Alleyne
Hello Dr. I thought I did respond, as a matter of fact I did all the things you suggested, I got the advantage plus flea medicine and applied it today, I also gave him a bath and a benedryl, he seems more comfortable now. Thank you.

Okay glad that worked for you and that he is more comfortable!