Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My 14 lb dog just ate a 10mg ambient that my boyfriend

Customer Question
My 14 lb dog...

My 14 lb dog just ate a 10mg ambient that my boyfriend dropped. What should I do? I am worried, he's such a little guy!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

He's almost 2 years old and in great health.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog
Answered in 1 minute by:
1/14/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested 10mgs of Ambien (zolpidem). This drug is not exceptionally toxic to dogs, meaning it won't cause organ failure but it can have some side effects.

Do you have fresh (unexpired) 3% hydrogen peroxide?

Is he taking any other medication?

At a dose of 0.1 mg per pound of body weight, or one 10mg tablet per 100 pound dog, may lead to sedation, or paradoxical hyperactivity may occur in some dogs.
At a dose of 0.3mg per pound of body weight or 10mg for a 33.3 pound dog paradoxical hyperactivity is more likely to occur.

Dogs have been reported to ingest doses up to 10mg per pound of body weight and not die. Signs of ingestion can occur within one hour, so once it has been longer than that inducing vomiting is likely no longer a good option. The symptoms could last for up to 12 hours.
Other symptoms that we can see include panting, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, tremors, incoordination, and at very high ingested doses we can see a decreased heart and breathing rate.

If he just ate the pill and you have peroxide I would induce vomiting by giving him 3% hydrogen peroxide at a dose of 1 tablespoon per 10 pounds of body weight directly orally, or mixed with a little ice cream or bread chunks, then take him out and run him around to get the peroxide fizzing.

If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once more.

That way you can avoid any symptoms.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

If you do not have fresh (unexpired) peroxide because this drug is absorbed quickly, and he is quite small I recommend that he be taken to an emergency clinic for treatment. Although this probably wouldn't be deadly he will have some pretty significant symptoms (lots of vomiting, nausea, tremors, incoordination and maybe changes in heart rate given that he is so tiny).

Even if they cannot get him to vomit they can give activated charcoal which will absorb some of the pill and decrease the symptoms he will have.

Then they can use supportive care to relieve his symptoms as his body metabolizes the drug.

If he were bigger you might be able to safely ride this out at home, but I don't recommend that given his size.

So the best thing is to immediately induce vomiting at home with peroxide, but if that cannot be done then emergency is best.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian