Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I stepped on his foot the other night by accident and he…

I stepped on his...

I stepped on his foot the other night by accident and he won’t walk on it much. He’ll go down steps but can’t climb up them. What can I give him until I can get him to his vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

His nails grow in a C ch

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

His nails grow in a c shape and sometimes grow into the pad of his foot. He has one close to doing that.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

His name is ***** ***** he’s 9 years old. He’s a dachshund that weighs 25lbs

1/13/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Are you seeing any open wounds on the foot itself?

Any cracked nails?

Is he on any medication at this time?

Occasionally benedryl

Any cracked nails?

Him and his brother are my moms dogs but she’s in the nursing home doing rehab so they’re staying at my house. They have to be right with me every move I make. He was behind me the other night and I didn’t see him and I stepped on his rear paw.

At home, you can administer aspirin if no other medications are being given. Dosing info is available here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/ Your vet is likely going to want to obtain X-rays of the injured foot to determine if there are any fractures. They will also likely prescribe other medications such as canine-safe NSAIDs like Rimadyl and pain medication, such as Tramadol, for the discomfort.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

His nail doesn’t appear to be growing into the pad of his foot yet. I’ve been giving him an 81mg aspirin in the morning but he doesn’t act like it helps much.

Were you able to see my reply above?

I’ll keep doing the aspirin Until I can get him to his vet.
Thank you

You're welcome. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Be sure to check the dosage with the calculator at the link above.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy