Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

Our 9 year old shorthair got into the trash last week and…

Our 9 year old...

Our 9 year old shorthair got into the trash last week and ate some of a chicken carcass. He has diarrhea and committed but then seemed back to normal- however just yesterday he started shaking badly, following me around and almost straining to poop but peeing a lot. Concerned, chrissy

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Not really- just that the sudden following me everywhere is very unlike him

1/13/2018
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

We have to assume that it may be serious as what you are describing are signs of either an obstruction or some garbage toxicosis, depending on if he ate anything else from the garbage and how old the chicken carcus was.

It would be advised that you take the pups vital signs and see your Veterinarian to make sure there is no obstruction or that a piece of bone has not pierced the intestines.

Taking the vital signs can at least give you a heads up on an emergency. Pale or white gums or wrong capillary refill time or temperature should have you going to the ER Vet.

I am going to direct you a link that will take you through how to do this.

What is Normal in dogs taking the vital signs

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

I would not feed him anything except a few pieces of whole grain bread to surround any sharp pieces of bone that may be in the intestinal tract.

Thank you.

You are every welcome. I wish you the best.

Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Sally G.