Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

He has an ear infection and we have some otibiotic ointment…

Customer Question
He has an ear...

He has an ear infection and we have some otibiotic ointment that's expired. Can we still use it until he can get to the vet?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?

Tucker and hes about a year and a half old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Tucker?

About a year and a half

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tucker?

He's a boxer and that's all that's really important

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog
1/12/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I'm sorry to hear that Tucker is having this ear issue going on. Is he having some debris and inflammation in a single ear? Is medication an ear treatment that was prescribed to him previously (but just expired now)?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Would it be okay to use expired otibiotic ointment on his ears?

The expiration date on the packaging for the ear medications are more for when they should be sold by the vet clinic. They don't have the medications in them going bad right at that date. More than likely the medications in that product are still very active and it hasn't broken down much. IF the product had deteriorated and lost its anti-fungal, anti-biotic and / or anti-inflammatory ingredients, it wouldn't break down into anything that would cause any problem. So an expired ear medication isn't one that should make a situation worse - unless the ear drum is ruptured and the medications could get down to the middle ear. The chance that an ear drum is compromised is pretty small.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It's definitely an ear infection :) we have another boxer that has had a lot of ear infections too and the ointment is from him

The actual product itself doesn't actually go bad at the expiration date on the packaging. It retains a great deal of the potency of the ingredients.

Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian