Dog

Get Your Dog Care Questions Answered by Experts

Dog

12 pound female multese poodle ingested an unkown amount of…

12 pound female multese...

12 pound female multese poodle ingested an unkown amount of semi-sweet chocolate chips around 6 hours ago. she has appeared fine, but her heart rate is 170 and she is breathing quickly. she is not exhibiting any restlessness or hyperactivity or agitation. she has been resting/lying down for most of the night.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Maltese will be able to digest that. What is the Maltese's name?

Charlie

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?

She's 8 years old

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Pulse is 140-150
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is someone there?
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/12/2018
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have you witnessed any vomiting or diarrhea?

Do you know the maximum amount she could have consumed?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Vomited once 6 hours ago. Probably ingested less than .5 oz

1/2 ounce of semi-sweet chocolate for a 12# ***** is unlikely to be toxic but may still produce GI symptoms. The heart rate you've shared is normal for a small breed dog, but the rapid breathing may be due to nausea. I do think it would be wise to have her examined overnight at your local ER.

Failing this, I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. However, if you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

It often helps to give medication to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber a few hours later once the medication has been given time to work. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, restore/improve the appetite, avoid or address changes in the stool, help to move ingested items through the GI tract, etc.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with GI symptoms. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make the bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot (note: if your companion is allergic to chicken you can use a protein source they can have such as ground turkey, a filet of salmon, etc). Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You're welcome. I hope all goes well.

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse