Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog ate a portion of his food & then found my turkey

Customer Question
My dog ate a...

My dog ate a portion of his food & then found my turkey Polska kielbasa on the table. While my back was turned he ate about 2 oz of it. It was cooked on the grill. Do you think it may cause him problems such as vomiting or diarrhea? I concerned & feel like I won’t be able to sleep tonight wororried about him.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Dog
1/12/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 7 months ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Thank you for your question about this situation with your guy. What is his name? What breed is he? How much does he weigh? I'm asking these questions to get a better feeling as to how sensitive he may be to this. The Kielbasa itself most likely isn't that bad of a thing to eat.

His name is***** is 48 lb spaniel mix.
No, I do not want to switch to phone call.

That is a very strong name! I like it. I like that he's a good sized dog that is this breed. This isn't a breed that seems to be more sensitive to having stomach upset from eating new things. One of the more sensitive breeds are Schnauzers it seems like based on my experience. If he's one that normally has a pretty solid stomach, I really wouldn't worry about this situation. That amount of cooked kielbasa wouldn't seem to have a lot of potential to cause stomach upset. Could he have a little loose stool for a movement or two? That is possible but I wouldn't be overly worried about it. At this time, time is the big thing to have pass here. I wouldn't feel that anything specific needs to be done but wait and watch him. If he was my dog and this happened, I wouldn't be worried about any significant issues from this.

How is Sampson doing today? I'm curious to hear back from you.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?