Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

She is a little more tired then normal and did not eat as…

Customer Question
She is a little...

She is a little more tired then normal and did not eat as much for the past 2 days

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?

Shada

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shada?

She is 1 year old and just finished a course of metronidazole for colitis. Stools have been normal.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog
1/9/2018
Dog Specialist: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 5 months ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment?

Any vomiting?

What foods have been offered?

She was on chicken and rice until yesterday as per the vets advise for colitis. No new food (she is on frome large breed puppy) no other new food, no human food, no torn up toys or trash. Only thing new is I am home this week - she usually goes to doggie day care during the week but she has been home and not as active for the past 4 days. No vomiting or diarrhea.

Is she on any medication at this time?

Is she willing to eat the chicken and rice? New usual dog food?

Just finished Flagyl. She is willing to have a small amount of chicken but then is just fine. Same food she has been on for several months

If her lack of appetite persists, she will need a recheck examination with your vet. This may be a recurring problem with the recent colitis and she may need longer treatment or a change in manner of treatment. I can give you some steps to try at home.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. This should help with any nausea that is present which might be keeping her from ingesting full meals. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful. If your companion is avoiding taking medication, you will likely need to using a pilling technique like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P6NfbxeLX0 (this video is of a dog as it shows the finer details of how to complete the action, this method can be used in dogs, cats and other mammals needing oral medications). [Note: once symptoms have resolved for at least 48 hours, discontinue the famotidine.]

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer the chicken and rice bland diet you've been feeding. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. You can also feed these exclusively. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of symptoms. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over 10 days. My recommendation is a 10% switch every day. Day 1: 10% new food, 90% old food; Day 2: 20% new food, 80% old food; Day 3: 30% new food, 70% old food, etc. This slow switch process should minimize any risk of GI upset from changing food.

If she continues to feel unwell, talk to your vet about trying a medication like cerenia for nausea or even using an appetite stimulant. Another course of metronidazole may also be indicated. Probiotics should also be considered, such as canine fortiflora: https://www.entirelypets.com/fortifloradog.html

I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating.

I will also check in with you over the next few days for updates on your companion to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. Letting me know how your companion is doing would be greatly appreciated. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in. How is Shada today?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse