Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a puppy that was born on Dec. 30th she is a quarter…

Customer Question
I have a puppy...

I have a puppy that was born on Dec. 30th she is a quarter of the size of her siblings. She hasn't been doing too good and she has a horrible odor of death coming from her entire body. We are monitoring her weight and she is on a bottle and we keep her wrapped up in a towel and heating pad. I don't know what is causing the smell or if there is anything more we can do for her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Storm

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Storm?

She was having some diarrhea but we thinned her formula and she has had 2 solid poops today.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Dog
She just seized twice.
She has seized 7 times since 1pm
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/8/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I am very, very sorry to hear about this little one.

Her poor rate of weight gain, atypical foul odor and now seizures point to a serious underlying disease process.

If multiple puppies were affected then a bacterial or viral infection would be a possible cause.

When we see one puppy in a litter affected by these types of symptoms we are likely dealing with a congenital defect, most likely either a liver shunt or heart defect. Either one would interfere with proper growth by interfering with normal digestion and absorption of nutrients and growth. However a liver shunt is more likely to cause atypical bacteria growth in the gut and give the puppy foul breath and gas.

There are different types of shunts. There can be one abnormal vessel out side the liver that interferes with proper liver development as then the blood supply bypasses the liver. Or there can be several vessels causing most of the blood to bypass the liver in or outside of the liver. Or there can be multiple tiny blood vessels within the liver which are abnormal.
If the shunt is a single one out side of the liver and can be successfully occluded without raising blood pressure within the liver then surgery is the way to go.
If the shunt is involving multiple small vessels within the liver or if when the shunt is occluded blood pressure within the liver rises then medical/diet therapy is the way to go.

Unfortunately the younger a puppy is when they show signs of being abnormal the more likely the shunt is to be very severe and the more guarded their prognosis, meaning it is much less likely this little one will do well long term.

The seizures you are seeing could be secondary to low blood sugar, or they could be related to the effects of high metabolic waste products circulating in the blood (which the liver normally clears) affecting brain function.

Whatever is going on with your puppy you can try rubbing Karo syrup or pancake syrup on her gums to raise her blood sugar. Then I would immediately have her seen by a veterinarian.

Best of luck with your little one.

I'll give you a link which discusses the different types of liver shunts as well as surgery and medical treatment which I hope will be helpful for you:
http://www.acvim.org/websites/acvim/index.php?p=193
And here's another that is a little more about medical treatment:
http://www.michvet.com/Client%20Education%20Handouts/Internal%20Medicine%20handouts/Portosystemic%20Shunts.pdf
As far as costs go they will vary widely depending upon whether she needs surgery, and how complicated the surgery is, or if she just has the imaging studies. It will also depend upon how much aftercare she needs and how long she needs to be hospitalized after surgery. I would plan on anywhere from a couple thousand to $4,500++.
This isn't something that can be done at a general practice clinic, the imaging studies require specialized equipment and so does the surgery, but today getting her emergency care at your usual veterinarian is a good start.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thank you for this information out of a litter of 11 there were 3 girls one of which had a severe cases of cleft lip and palate and after we took her to a rescue we found out that she didn't have an Anus. All 3 girls were much smaller than all of the other dogs. She is now the only female left. We had another female dog have a litter from the same male and one of her pups had congenital metatarsal hyperextension.

It sounds like these parents are not good breeding combinations.

For whatever reason their genetics is such that together they are producing more puppies with congenital defects.

Are these dogs closely related?

Has this male had other litters with bitches other than yours that produced healthy puppies?

I would not recommend using this stud again with your girls anyway.

They are not closely related. The study is one about 18 months old. The batches have never had births with any defects. She is barely breathing and continues to seize.

I highly recommend humane euthanasia for this little one at this point, but I would also ask for a necropsy to try to confirm the shunt if possible.

It is very unlikely that she is going to do well given how sick she is now, no matter how much care you try to give her.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your young pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

She died in our arms ��

I'm so very sorry to hear that, my deepest condolences. I am not surprised given what you had told me about her, and the number of seizures she suffered, but I am sure that it was heartbreaking given how much time and effort and likely how attached you became. Thank you for taking the time to let me know how things turned out.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian