Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My cocker is coughing and has a hard time breathing. What…

Customer Question
My cocker is coughing and...
My cocker is coughing and has a hard time breathing. What can i give her
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
She also got out of our yard and spent a night in th pokey. They said they gave her a shot and now a week later she sounds awful. Please help
1/8/2018
Dog Specialist: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. It appears that your cocker is suffering from the infectious tracheobronchtiis complex ("kennel cough"). In most cases these dogs will go into remission within 1-3 weeks unaided and so I rarely treat them with antibiotics. If they worsen instead of improving in the week following the onset of their symptoms, I do prescribe one of the antibiotics of choice - doxycyclne or amoxicillin/clavulanate. I might also send home a narcotic cough suppressant. It's best to avoid over the counter cough suppressants which usually contain dextromethorphan and alcohol - neither of which are recommended in dogs due to lack of efficacy and toxicity at higher doses. You're likely to find that a teaspoon/tablespoon (small/big dog) of honey every few hours will be more helpful in controlling coughing. It's important to recognize that canine influenza can look like kennel cough but is more likely to end up in pneumonia. Don't hesitate to have her chest X-rayed if she's not improving over the initial week from the onset of her symptoms. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.