Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

My dog has been vomiting for the past 2 days. She has not be…

Customer Question
My dog has been...

My dog has been vomiting for the past 2 days. She has not be n eating much. She just vomited again, and it was dark and smelled like feces. she has also recently been diagnosed with tumors in her bladder and around her small intestine. We have an appointment with an oncologist on Wednesday, but should I take her to the emergency vet now? (It's 11 pm)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

She is 17 years old, mixed breed. She has been drinking a lot of water today.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Dog
1/8/2018
Dog Specialist: Scott Perry, Veterinarian replied 6 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has been vomiting the last 2 days and not eating well. I am sorry to hear about that. You mentioned she will be seeing an oncologist soon. Can you please tell me what is her diagnosis? Also, how many times has she vomited within the last 24 hours?

She has masses in her bladder and around her small intestine that were diagnosed a month ago. We are still waiting to see the oncologist.
But today she vomited at 4 am, again after she ate at 8 am and tonight at 11 pm. The last one smelled like feces and was black.
She hasn’t been interested in food since breakfast, and hasn’t eaten anything since. I also have her 10 mg of

10 mg of what? Pepcid?

Thank you. The decision to need to see a veterinarian soon will depend on her level of dehydration. She will likely need a stronger medication for nausea and Zofran or Cerenia are going to be better options. However, if she is not dehydrated then it can wait until tomorrow. The way to check for dehydration is to perform one of two tasks. The most accurate method is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery when you move your finger over them. If they feel dry or sticky then she is dehydrated. The other way to measure is to perform a "skin tent" test. To do this, gently pull up on the skin over the shoulders and let go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. A normal count is less than 2 seconds. If it is delayed then that is an indicator of dehydration. If the skin stays elevated and does not return to normal then that is a measure of severe dehydration. She should be seen tonight if this is observed.

For tonight, it would be recommended to not offer any food and only small amounts of water at a time. Giving Pepcid is OK.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Just checking in. How is your dog doing?