Dog

Get your dog care questions answered by Experts

I have a five month old Boston Terrier- Addie. I am having…

Customer Question
I have a five month...
I have a five month old Boston Terrier- Addie. I am having problems with her throwing up all the time. About two months ago she had the same thing- I put her on chicken and rice and she did great on it. I very slowly added her puppy food over a two week period until she was on all dog food. She has done great for the last month. We got back from a two week trip a week ago and she has done nothing but throw up multiple times a day. Her food is from a local feed and seed in town and is called Loyal Life. It has no corn soy or wheat and is a chicken and brown rice recipe. She eats twice a day at 6:30 and at 3. Her vomit almost always has bits of food that are larger and wet looking - like when something has been soaked in water and then it gets to just wet looking stomach bile. I am making chicken and rice again.
She seems very happy and playful and she can throw up after playing or several hours after eating- I dont think she has ever thrown up immediately following her feeding.
I feel so bad for her and don’t know what I can do to help her.
I tried science diet first and that did not agree with her at all then the brand she is on now.
I will have her in her crate cuz she won’t stop throwing up and as soon as I let her out she throws up again.
Any help or advise would be great- don’t know if I should take her to the vet or what!!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Dog
1/7/2018
Dog Specialist: Sally G., Dog Training Consultant replied 8 months ago
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. Because this has been going on for so long it is advisible to see your Vet . A possible x ray of the intestines or stomach may be needed.

Sometimes dogs eat non food items such as rawhides, toys,bones, etc that can cause a partial obstruction of the bowel and thus it is hard for food to pass through.

There may also be an acid reflux problem, or the pup may be eating too fast in one sitting.

I might also start feeding the meals more often but give smaller amounts to see if she can hold it down. If there is no progression after you have tried that then an x ray may be needed to see what is going on.